Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Stolen Bicycle Recovered

My stolen bike was not recovered. But take a look at this Vancouver Police Department Media Release:
July 28th, 9:45 a.m.: A bike stolen in Ontario has been recovered in Vancouver after police stopped a man riding his bike on the sidewalk without a helmet. When the serial number was queried in the police database, it turned up as stolen. “This is a perfect example of why it is always a good idea to keep a record of your property’s serial numbers and to advise police when something is stolen,” says Constable Tim Fanning. “Alternatively, you can inscribe your driver’s licence number onto your property, which may make it easier for police to contact you, especially if you aren’t aware yet that something has been taken.”
I wonder if the bike would have been recovered sooner if it had had an RFID tag embedded in it? I think it's pretty amazing that a bike stolen in Ontario is kicking around in Vancouver. I think I might be getting closer to accepting that I'll never see my Devinci again. I wonder where it is right now? Saskatoon?

Quite often these press releases contain phrases like N pounds of cocaine/marijuana were recovered from the vehicle, after it was pulled over for speeding and running stop signs. Note to self: if I am in possession of stolen or otherwise prohibited goods, I will not ride on the sidewalk without a helmet, or otherwise do anything that will draw the attention of the authorities toward me. It's just common sense.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home