Friday, October 13, 2006

Things I saw during my commute this week

I have been commuting to and from work on my bicycle for the past few months. It's great when it's not raining. The rain is coming, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear. Yeah, well, riding in the dark when it's raining heavily is still no picnic. Anyway, here are a few things that I recall from this week:
  • A guy driving while smoking a joint. While riding on Central Blvd I could distinctly smell marijuana. I looked around while stopped at a traffic light and saw the driver of a sporty little Pontiac (or something) holding a smoldering little cigarette just so. The only unusual thing about his driving was the slowness. This was probably less the effects of THC and more just the attention that he was forced to divert to managing the burning joint. If only the cellphone using drivers would be so careful. He was totally Bogarting it too; the whole time I was following him I never saw the passenger get a toke. I vaguely remember the license plate being something like 762 GLK.
  • Just east of Main on 37th Ave the street was wet. A municipal work crew had been there earlier in the day digging up the street for some reason. The light from the setting sun reflected strongly off the wet surface of the road and I thought it looked like a milk truck had overturned there.
  • The front-end of a little sh*t-box car stopping abrubtly to my right this morning. I was proceeding through a four-way-stop intersection after waiting more than my turn (a car to my left had decided to cut me off just moments before). So yeah, it was definitely my turn. This guy either didn't see me or thought hey, it's just a bike. Whenever something like that happens I get an urge to see if my black Kryptonite U-Lock matches the colour of the car, IYKWIM, AITYD.